This is a national event. Will you be participating locally?
Walking is fun, but you need to be safe while doing it.
Here are some Good Tips for Walking Safely to School:
Walk together. Younger children should never alone.
Be seen. Drivers may not be able to see you well.
Look for traffic. Watch out for cars and trucks at every driveway and intersection on your walk to school. Look for drivers in parked cars. They may be getting ready to move.
Always Cross the street safely:
- Stop at the curb or edge of the street.
- Look left, right, left and behind you and in front of you for traffic.
- Wait until no traffic is coming and begin crossing.
- Keep looking for traffic until you have finished crossing.
- Walk, don’t run across the street.
- Ride in the same direction as traffic (with the flow) in a single file.
- Ride to the right side of the road.
- Obey traffic laws.
- Follow all traffic signs, signals and lane markings.
- Be predictable. Ride in a straight line, not in and out of cars.
- Use hand signals.