The regular school board meeting of
the Board of Directors of Lane County School District #40,
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT IN ADDITION TO CHAIR KOUNOVSKY:
BOARD MEMBERS NOT PRESENT:
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Rick Stuber, Superintendent
Jennifer Heiss, Business Manager
Ellen Adler, Director of Special Education/NCLB
Jacque Robertson, Creslane Elementary Principal
Shirley Burrus, CMS Principal
Marilyn Cruzan, Administrative Secretary
Hugh Turnbull, The Chronicle
01. Action, establish a quorum
Mr. Kounovsky announced that a quorum of the board was present.
Mr. Kounovsky reported that
02. Pledge of Allegiance
03. Visitors: Mr. Kounovsky announced that if an audience member would like to speak to the board on an agenda item this evening, there are forms to fill out by the door.
reported the following: Sgt. Mikeal W. Miller of
of Riddle was
killed in action on Monday, January 28, 2008 in
04. Action, approve agenda/add items
05. Action, approve the January 16, 2008 Regular Board Meeting Minutes.
Mr. Clark moved to approve the January 16, 2008 regular board meeting minutes. Ms. Mattheisen seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
06. Information, Trustees Reports
07. Information, Supervisors’ Reports
There were no questions on the supervisors’ reports. Mr. Clark added to the high school report that the CHS Cheerleaders took second in the state competition.
08. Student Representative Report
The student representative was not present. Mr. Kounovsky gave the student report. Mr. Kounovsky also reported that the CHS cheerleaders took second place in the state competition. There is a state playoff boys basketball game at the high school tonight. There will be a donkey basketball game on Monday, February 18. A Valentine/ Winter Formal dance will be held on February 23.
09. Information, Business Manager Report.
There were no questions on the Business Manager’s report.
10. Information, Superintendent Report
Page 3 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes – 2-13-08
12. Action, Personnel Report
Mr. Clark moved to approve the personnel report. Mr. Leatherman seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
13. Action, adopt posted policies: IGBA & AR, IGBAE & AR, IGBAF-AR, IGBAG & AR, IGBAH & AR, IGBAI & AR, IGBAJ & AR, IGBAK, IGBAL-AR and JGDA/JGEA & AR.
Mr. Clark moved to adopt policies IGBA & AR, IGBAE & AR, IGBAF-AR, IGBAG & AR, IGBAH & AR, IGBAI & AR, IGBAJ & AR, IGBAK, IGBAL-AR and JGDA/JGEA & AR. Mr. Leatherman seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
14. Action, post policy JO-AR, Education Records Management
Mr. Kounovsky tabled this item until further notice.
15. Discussion, working draft of proposed policy KH-AR, Public Gifts Guidelines.
Mr. Kounovsky said he had requested this discussion after attending a Booster Club meeting. The Booster’s had some concerns on how this policy was going to affect them. He gave them a copy of the rough draft of KH-AR and asked them for any comments they might have Dr. Stuber stated that the Boosters will meet with the board this spring to update the agreement between the Boosters and the Board. Concerns could be addressed at that time. Mr. Kounovsky asked for board discussion before the policy goes to the policy committee on February 19.
16. Discussion, 2007-08 superintendent’s evaluation.
Dr. Stuber advised that there had not been any objections to the evaluation document. He will send out the form and asked that the evaluations be returned by February 29 to the board chair.
17. Discussion, 2007-08 school board evaluation.
There were no objections to the board evaluation document. It will be sent out to board members and should be returned to the board chair by February 29.
18. Discussion, hiring timeline for 2009-10 superintendent
Mr. Kounovsky suggested a board work session to discuss the hiring timeline for the next superintendent. A board work session will be held on March 5 beginning at 6 :30 P.M. in the district office board room.
19. Action, appoint Position 1 board member
Mrs. Thompson advised the board that two applications for the vacant board position number one held by Mr. Mark Risen were received. Applications were reviewed by the board nominating sub-committee. The committee is
Page 4 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes – 2-13-08
recommending that Mrs. Elena Connelly be appointed to fill the vacant
position. Mrs. Thompson moved to appoint Mrs. Elena Connelly to position one. Mr. Clark seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
Mrs. Heiss gave the oath of office to Mrs. Connelley.
ADJOURNMENT: The board meeting adjourned at 7:45 P.M.
Dr. Rick Stuber, Superintendent
Lee Kounovsky, Chair