TO: Board of Directors
FROM: Jan Ophus, CHS Principal
RE: March Board Report
DATE: March 8, 2007
2. Terrie Chrones, our culinary teacher, reports that one of her former students is working on a cruise line in the food service area and that another is a "star student at LCC's culinary program while maintaining a full job at the Hilton. We have some great graduates!"
Bill Martin, econ. and history teacher, is advising
the group of students who have "stood up" up for
CHS's Girls Basketball team not only had an
outstanding season on the hardwood, they placed fourth among
the twenty-two 3A schools in
5. Some of Peter Strandjord's choir students recently competed in a choir competition. Aavery Fincher-Beard, Nichole Berge, and Stephanie Syphers enjoyed their experience immensely. It has been eight years since a CHS choir has entered a competition.
6. Though it was late in coming, CHS was recently pleased to receive the news from the Northwest Association of Accredited Schools (NAAS) that it is again accredited by the Association. CHS has been a member of NAAS since 1952. There are four levels of "accreditation": Approved, Approved with Comment, Advised, and Warned. CHS received an Approved with Comment accreditation. The comment made was: "Thank you for such an honest and thorough report. Is there other ways [sic] to get your curriculum needs and staff development needs--even if you don't get any additional time?"
7. TESA has been "shut down" for the time being, but we are pleased to report that all of CHS's sophomores have completed their math, reading, writing and paper & pencil science state assessments. We hope to test again those who have not passed yet, but we are at least a little "ahead of the game" compared to other high schools in the state. Assistant Principal Weber has done a fine job of organizing our testing efforts.
8. Debra Weber will be attending a forum at LCC tomorrow, Friday, concerning "poverty" and its effects. Shirley Burrus has agreed to give us a mini presentation of the information she acquired recently on the subject of "poverty" at a time to be determined yet this year. Wendy Zacharias, counselor, will be attending an RTEC meeting at LCC today, Thursday. We have one student receiving EMT training at RTEC this semester.