REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
The regular school board meeting of the Board of
Directors of Lane County School District #40,
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT IN ADDITION TO CHAIR FRESKE:
BOARD MEMBERS NOT PRESENT:
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Rick Stuber, Superintendent
Ellen Adler, Director of Special Education
Jennifer Heiss, Business Manager
Joel Higdon, Technology Director
Jan Ophus, CHS Principal
Marilyn Cruzan, Administrative Secretary
Heath Annett, CHS Student Representative
Anne Thomas, The Sentinel
01. Action, establish a quorum
Chair Freske announced that a quorum of the board was present.
reported that on
Page 2 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes –
02. Pledge of Allegiance
Mrs. Freske announced that if an audience member would like to speak to the board on an agenda item this evening, there are forms to fill out by the door.
04. Action, approve agenda/add items
Mrs. Freske added a discussion on OSBA policy service costs as agenda item 18. Also under item 6, reports, Tiffany Gowing will be sworn in as next year’s CHS representative to the board. There will also be four recognitions by the board chair. Mr. Clark moved to approve the amended agenda. Mr. Sells seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
Action, approve the
Mr. Sells moved to approve all minutes as presented. Mrs. Thompson seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
06. Information, Trustees Reports
A. Board goals update, Mrs. Freske
Mrs. Fresk gave the oath of office
to Tiffany Gowing, next year’s CHS representative to the board. Mrs. Freske announced that Creslane
Elementary received the Outstanding Community Support Award from the Western
Rivers Girl Scout Council. Mrs. Freske
also recognized students Shane Porter, who wrote a letter to the board
regarding the middle school, Dalyn
Stram, first place winner in the
Mrs. Freske suggested that the board and administrators meet on the first Wednesday in August to put together the board goals.
B. Labor Management Committee update, Mrs. Freske
Mrs. Freske advised that Dr. Stuber, Mrs. Dubick, Mrs. Freske, Mr. Donner and Mrs. Thompson ,the steering committee for the Labor Management Committee, met on April 25. Mrs. Freske read the following for the benefit of the audience: “The steering committee proposes the following 1) a flow chart will be developed to
Page 3 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes –
illustrate how the labor management committee processes requests The superintendent will work on this.
2) The flow chart and other materials will be widely distributed, 3) the district should set up a contact point on its web site. The site would list labor management committee members, how to contact them, the flow chart and the place for each sub-committee to post its agenda, minutes and other particulars, 4) The Labor Management Committee will be comprised of three board members and three CEA members. These names will be forwarded to the steering committee for its next meeting. The superintendent will act as a resource to the Labor Management Committee but will not be a voting member, 5) There will be no restrictions to the memberships of the various sub-committees. Sub-committees report to the Labor Management Committee and respective organizations must ratify proposals, 6) the Labor Management Committee will schedule regular monthly meetings from September 2005 to December 2005. Thereafter meetings will be scheduled bi-monthly for the balance of the school year, 7) the sub-committee charge sheets will be modified to indicate that the sub-committee’s will a) have co-chairs, b) select a secretary/recorder, c) clearly indicate that the charge is for the sub-committee d) note committee membership does not need to have equal membership, e) state the final report is to be made to the Labor Management Committee f) recommend sub-committees
follow the STP model, 8) all sub-committee and Labor Management Committee meetings will be open to the public, 9) sub-committee timelines will be unique to each group, 10) there will be no restrictions barring witnesses and resource people from testifying at the Labor Management Committee or sub-committee hearings at the invitation of members, 11) after the board and CEA have selected Labor Management membership the Steering Committee will be dissolved. The next meeting will be on May 25.
07. Information, Supervisors Reports
A. 6th/7th grade presentation
Mrs. Kuhnhausen introduced Bailey Hildebrandt, Keiry Spoerl, Jill Watkins and Joe Wigton, four of her 6th grade students, who presented their “Shoe Project” to the board.
08. Student Representative Report
Heath Annette reported that class elections were held last Friday.
Page 4 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes –5-11-05
09. Information, Business Manager Report.
There were no questions on the Business Manger report. Mrs. Freske requested a Food Services report from Ms. Ogawa at the June board meeting.
10. Superintendent's Report
Dr. Stuber gave the board an update on the Continuous Improvement Plan.
12. Action, Increase Driver’s Education Fees
Mr. Clark moved to approve the increase in the driver education fee from $150.00 to $175.00. Mrs. Dersham seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
13. Action, Personnel Report
Dr. Robertson moved to approve the personnel report. Mr. Sells seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
14. Action, Assign Labor Management Committee Members
Mrs. Freske announced that she had appointed Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. Freske and Mr. Ehrich to the Labor Management Committee.
15. Action, Athletic/Extra-Curricular Committee, Dr. Robertson
A Creswell Athletics Ad Hoc
Committee resolution was distributed to the board. Dr. Robertson stated that it was one of the
possible board goals to look at the district’s athletic program K-12. Dr. Robertson, Mrs. Thompson and Mr. Apo
approached Mrs. Freske and Dr. Stuber with the idea of reviewing athletics and
extra-curricular activities. Dr.
Robertson advised that they are proposing that the board accept this as a board
goal and charge an ad hoc committee to define the mission of athletics within
Dr. Robertson moved to
adopt the resolution to form an ad hoc committee to define the mission of
athletics within the
Page 5 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes –
recommendations reported to the school board instead of the Labor Management Committee. Mrs. Thompson seconded the amendment. The
amendment to the motion CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY. Dr. Stuber asked Mrs. Freske to select someone to chair the committee to get it started. Mrs. Freske asked Dr. Robertson to chair the committee. The motion to approve the ad hoc athletic committee resolution CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
16. Action, District Office offer.
Dr. Robertson moved to reject the offer at this time. Mrs. Dersham seconded. And THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY. Dr. Stuber suggested a board committee to review bids as they come in. Mr. Clark, Mr. Ehrich and Mr. Sells volunteered to serve on the committee. Dr. Stuber stated that the committee should be charged with a certain range of acceptability in terms of what the board would allow the property to be sold for. Mr. Ehrich moved to establish a committee to receive and review any offers on the property and make a recommendation to the board. Dr. Robertson seconded. Mr. Ehrich added that if the committee agrees that an offer is acceptable they would call for a special board meeting. THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
17. Action, Budget Board Candidate
Mr. Ehrich reported that the committee reviewed the letter. Mr. Ehrich moved to appoint Mrs. Jenkins to the budget board committee. Mr. Sells seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
18. Discussion, OSBA Policy Services Costs
Mr. Clark shared the current cost for policy services from OSBA. He recommended that board policies be posted to the district web site. Mr. Ehrich moved to proceed on the recommendation of the vice-chair and have OSBA put our policy book in an electronic format at an estimated cost of $1,000 to $3,000.00. Mr. Clark seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
Mrs. Freske reminded everyone of the budget meetings on May 18 and May 25, high school graduation on June 10, middle school graduation on June 13 and the retirement function on June 15 in the high school commons at 7:30 A.M.
ADJOURNMENT The board meeting adjourned at 8:45 P.M.
Dr. Rick Stuber, Superintendent
Anne Freske, Chair