February 2009 SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT
1. Curriculum. Math Committee is nearing completion of the project.
2. Facilities. See Business Manager’s Reports.
3. Public Relations.
Staff. The board
previously approved an out-of-state student travel request for the HS
Physics/Chemistry classes to attend the Great America Math/physics day in
a. Agenda items.
The new MS tour begins at 6:00 p.m. Meet at the front of the old MS.
09.b. Information will be emailed. Hard copies in packets and at meeting.
14. Proposed policies will be posted on the web site. Mrs. Cruzan will bring hard copy to meeting.
15. Information will be emailed from Higdon.
16. Committee DRAFT charge will be emailed.
17. The MS is requesting March 30 as an inservice. Request from the MS Site Council was previously relayed to the school board.
18. Information regarding Bridgeway was emailed previously.
b. Superintendent will be absent March 30-April 3.
ii. MICROBI Enterprises. Paid transportation costs for 4th grade trip to state capitol. Est value = $300.
iii. Liberty Bank. 11 HP/DC530 computer towers. Estimated value = $1650.
RE: Agenda Item 09 b.
For the remainder of 2008-9 school year, the school board has the following options:
For the remainder of the 2008-9 school year, the school community (that is: the employees in concert with the school board) has these options:
As grim as those choices are, the following year also poses some
dilemmas. If the governor’s proposed
education budget is passed as-is,
The R-G reported 29JAN09 that Creswell SD is in line to get $978K over the next biennium from the federal stimulus bill. This sounds great but we don’t know if the money supplants or supplements the two programs mentioned: special education and poverty assistance for which we already received significant federal funding. We have plenty of “shovel ready” construction projects on our deferred maintenance list.
All of these considerations/options (and more) will be the contemplation of our Finance Committee and our school community. We wanted to give a thumbnail sketch of the options. Hope this helps. If Mrs. Heiss or I can do any more research let us know. This will be a discussion topic for the February school board meeting.
RE: Agenda Item 16
Creswell School Board Ad Hoc Finance Committee
The purpose of the Finance Committee is to provide a forum for timely and accurate exchange of financial information.
School Board representatives; Kathy Thompson, Chris Matthiesen, David Eusted
Budget Committee representatives; Ron Blatch, Lon Robertson
Teacher representatives: Ken Donner, Bill Martin
Classified representatives: Sandi Scaife
Administrator representatives: Jan Ophus, Shirley Burrus, Jacque Robertson, Ellen Adler, Jennifer Heiss
an in-depth understanding of school budgets and finances applicable to
a. Evaluate revenue sources.
b. Evaluate the distribution of funds for expenditure
2. Compare Creswell District financial data with other districts.
a. Align district resources with best-practices expenditures
b. Develop a long-range vision for the district
3. Communicate information to the various stakeholders within the school district.
1. The committee will select a chair and a person responsible for preparing reports to the Budget Committee and other members of the public pursuant to Goal 3. Reports shall be posted on the district web site.
2. The committee will meet at the pleasure of the chair and self-determine its means and methods for achieving self-sought goals as well as explore other fiscal or budget items as may be referred by the school board or superintendent.
3. The committee serves as an advisory tool of the school board and any recommendations will be directed as such. No decisions of the committee shall be considered final unless otherwise directed by the school board.
4. Committee meetings will be held in public and shall be advertised as such and published by the superintendent. The committee is encourage to set aside time for public input at each meeting and to otherwise solicit input by whatever means the committee finds expedient and worthwhile.