REGULAR SCHOOL BOARD MEETING MINUTES
The regular school board meeting of
the Board of Directors of Lane County School District #40,
BOARD MEMBERS PRESENT IN ADDITION TO CHAIR: Ken Leatherman
BOARD MEMBERS NOT PRESENT:
ALSO PRESENT: Dr. Rick Stuber, Superintendent
Jennifer Heiss, Business Manager
Ellen Adler, Director of Special Education/NCLB
Jacque Robertson, Creslane Elementary Principal
Shirley Burrus, CMS Principal
Jan Ophus, CHS Principal
Marilyn Cruzan, Administrative Secretary
Hugh Turnbull, The Chronicle
01. Action, establish a quorum
Mr. Leatherman announced that a quorum of the board was present.
02. Pledge of Allegiance
03. Visitors: Mr. Leatherman announced that if an audience member would like to speak to the board on an agenda item this evening, there are forms to fill out by the door.
Page 2 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes – 3-11-2009
04. Action, approve agenda/add items
Mr. Leatherman added items 23 and 24 to the agenda. Ms. Mattheisen moved to approve the amended agenda. Mr. Kounovsky seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
05. Action, approve the February 11, 2009 Regular School Board meeting minutes.
Mr. Kounovsky moved to approve the February 11, 2009 regular board meeting minutes. Ms. Mattheisen seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
06. Information, Trustees Reports
07. Information, Supervisors’ Reports
There were no questions on the supervisors’ reports.
08. Student Representative Report
The student representative was not present.
09. Information, Business Manager Report.
There were no questions on the Business Manager’s report.
10. Information, Superintendent Report
There were no questions on the Superintendent’s report.
11. Superintendent Search Update, Kounovsky
Mr. Kounovsky reported that the superintendent search is still underway with interviews taking place in executive session.
13. Action, approve Personnel Report
Mr. Clark moved to approve the personnel report. Mr. Kounovsky seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
Page 3 - Regular Board Meeting Minutes – 3-11-2009
14. Action, adopt policies EEA, Student Transportation; EEAB, School Bus Scheduling and Routing and EEAE, Student Transportation in Private Vehicles.
15. Action, post revised policy DLA, Payday Schedule.
Mr. Clark moved to post revised policy DLA, Payday Schedule. Mrs. Connelly seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
16. Action, licensed staff renewals
Ms. Connelly moved to approve the licensed staff renewals. Mr. Clark seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
17. Discussion, 2009-2010 revenue information
Mrs. Heiss distributed an overview of education funding for 2007-09 and 2009-2011 and reviewed the information with the board.
18. Action, appoint graduation/promotion diploma presenters
Mr. Leatherman appointed Mrs. Connelly and Mr. Kounovsky to present diplomas at the high graduation ceremony and Ms. Mattheisen and Mr. Leatherman to present certificates at the eighth grade promotion ceremony.
Mr. Clark moved to approve
20. Action, sick leave bank request
Dr. Stuber stated that this request is from the CEA and that the board has approved sick leave banks in the past. He also said that the board may set a cap for the number of days donated and also set the number of days an
Page 4 – Regular Board Meeting Minutes - 3-11-2009
employee could donate. If the day limit is reached the CEA could submit another request. Mrs. Thompson moved to approve the request for a sick leave bank with a cap of three days with unused days being redistributed to donors, that all staff may donate, if more days are needed another request must be made to the board and that there would an update to the board in three months to clarify the status of the situation. Mr. Clark seconded. There was discussion regarding the update. Mrs. Thompson amended her motion to drop the three month update. Mr. Clark seconded the amendment. Dr. Stuber stated that staff should be notified that if they donate they will not receive the sick leave incentive. THE AMENDMENT TO THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY. THE AMENDED MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
21. Action, request to support street abatement
Dr. Stuber reviewed the request for the street abatement. Mr. Clark moved to support the request for the street abatement. Ms. Mattheisen seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED UNANIMOUSLY.
22. Discussion, 2008-2009 School Board Goals evaluation
The evaluation document will be sent to the board and administration. The completed forms should be returned to Mr. Leatherman by June 1.
23. Action, Vehicle Purchase
Mr. Clark moved to approve Resolution 0809-8 in the amount of $18,500 out of contingency fund 274 for the purchase of a new automobile for the transportation department. Mr. Kounovsky seconded and THE MOTION CARRIED AS FOLLOWS:
MR. CLARK – YES
MRS. CONNELLY –NO
MR. EUSTED – YES
MR. KOUNOVSKY – YES
MR. LEATHERMAN – YES
MS. MATTHEISEN – YES
MRS. THOMPSON - YES
Mr. Kounovsky moved to accept
ADJOURNMENT: The board meeting adjourned at 8:10 P.M.
Dr. Rick Stuber, Superintendent
Ken Leatherman, Chair