to: Creswell Board of Directors and Dr. Rick Stuber
from: JOEL HIGDON, Technology Director
subject: Activity report
I will be participating in
· Over 24 hours of training have been scheduled for our staff on Pentamation issues. For some the training is a needed review of key points for others it is more primary.
· November 17 is the date we convert to Student PLUS from Open Series. This is a free conversion that Pentamation has encouraged Districts to do. This District has been testing a Student PLUS database since May. The new version looks promising. A Finance PLUS conversion is tentatively scheduled for January.
· I will be scheduling a meeting the week of October 24th to begin the review and update of the District’s Technology Plan. I hope to keep the meeting to 1 hour. The first meeting will primarily consist of setting the scope, relaying the history of the plan, distributing copies of the current plan, distributing copies of our District’s CIP, and any other key information. A final date and agenda will be posted October 19th.
· The following information is a repost for background information:
This fall the District’s Strategic Technology Plan will be reviewed and updated as needed by a Technology Committee. In the coming weeks I will be putting out the “all call” for volunteers for this committee. I am hoping to have representatives from all bargaining groups as well as student, community and School Board.
The last major revision of the Technology Plan occurred during the Strategic Planning Process where the School Board approved the document. Since then, the Technology Plan has not been a binder on a shelf collecting dust but rather a dynamic document. It’s the guidepost used for technology related decisions and purchases for the District.
The Oregon Department of Education mandates the District have a State approved technology plan on record for compliance in various Title programs as well as No Child Left Behind (NCLB) and Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA). Our current plan has fulfilled that mandate. It also has been used to help achieve grants for the District, such as the Palm Grant that is now in its second year. With the completion of the Continuous Improvement Plan, there is a no better time to revisit the Technology Plan. My goal here is to have a reviewed and updated plan to the School Board by the January Board Meeting.
District-wide and ongoing activities:
· District technology budget
· Technology maintenance and upkeep
· Curriculum support
· Staff training on District’s technology