Writing Success Team
November 2, 2005 Minutes
Members present: Stuber, Davis, Scarola, Holst, Kuhnhausen, Jrobertson, McKee, Langan, Harstad-Bell, Hoke, Bettencourt, Curtis, Bruni, Lary, and Young
Team split into groups by building to compile data for a Two Year Comparison and Trait Analysis of State Writing Tests. ES and MS reviewed 04 and 05, while HS compared 03 and 04 since state data is not yet available.
Results of the analysis were:
1. Strengths voice, word choice MS
voice, word choice ES
voice, word choice, sentence fluency HS
2. Weaknesses: conventions, organization HS
conventions, organization ES
conventions, organization, ideas/content MS
The following comments were made regarding the analysis:
Where do we go from here?
1. Find a school district meeting or exceeding conventions for a comparative look at their Los and teaching strategies.
2. Do we have common teaching strategies in CSD for teaching writing?
3. Do K-3 staff use scoring guides or are they aware of what they include?
4. Are K-3 Los too simple?
5. How did the state “do” in conventions?
6. Would be nice for all teachers to see class sheets which break down each student and how they rated in each scoring category.
7. Assessment scores per Los do not match up with the state. Los too generalized. Does group want to rewrite Los?
8. Need more common planning time by content area.
9. How do strengths in writing assist to “turn around” weaknesses. How do we build on the strengths? Voice and word choice have emotional attachment.
10. Looking up research by Hillochs (SP). Best practices in writing.
Group will review material from Mr. Young regarding best practices research.
Group will review statewide data from high performing schools, especially in the area of conventions if Ms. Lary can locate same.
Group will begin to assimilate best practices and information from high performing schools.
Next meeting will be December 5th, Monday at 8:30 a.m. in the Board Room.
Total Meeting time: 3 hours